The Best Spinach Tortellini Soup Recipe
There are soups and then there are pasta soups, but none beats the mighty ones. tortellini soup. Pasta e fagioli, Chicken Noodle Soup, Beef Macaroni Soup: While they’re great on their own, there’s just something about warm broth and floating cheese-filled tortellini that can’t be beat.
Maybe it’s the fact that this pasta and soup hybrid can pass as a cold cure, but also as a comfort food. Or maybe it’s because homemade tortellini soup is not only better than any store (or restaurant) bought version, but it’s so easy to make with very few ingredients.
Chef Jon Ashton’s recipe may be a bit tweaked, thanks to ground chicken, fresh-not-frozen cheese tortellini, herbs, and aromatics, but that doesn’t rule out how easy it is to master in your own kitchen. Below, he shares his best tips for doing it.
Related: Easy Chicken Stock Recipe
Ingredients for tortellini soup
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 6 stalks of parsley
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10-ounce bag of fresh cheese tortellini
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Related: 100 Best Fall Soup Recipes
How to make tortellini soup
1. Place ground chicken, chicken broth, yellow onion, carrot, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a pot and bring to a simmer.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Strain broth through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
4. Return broth to saucepan.
5. Bring to a simmer and add the cheese tortellini and spinach.
6. Cook for 3 minutes.
7. Divide soup among 6 bowls and serve with grated Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
What to serve with tortellini soup
Although spinach tortellini soup is usually a vegetarian dish, this version is quite hearty, given the ground chicken and cheese-stuffed tortellini en brodo.
Therefore, we suggest that side dishes and pairings be light: a good green salad, a crusty baguette, a toasted focaccia or a soft fish like salmon will work well.
Related: 30 Best Tortellini Pasta Salad Recipes